IES Interview Questions
Indian Engineering Services abbreviated as IES are the civil services that meet the technical and managerial functions of the Government of India. Like most countries, the Government of India recruits its civil servants and officials on the basis of merit, the middle management positions in the bureaucracy are buried through competitive exams.
Large number of candidates take these exams, competing for limited posts. IES officers are selected by the union government on the recommendations made by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). A combined three-stage competitive examination (comprising five tests), called the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) is conducted by the UPSC for recruitment to the Indian Engineering Services
ESE is therefore considered as the toughest exam in India and amongst the toughest in the world due to less number of posts having a selection ratio of 0.00275 and its technical nature. Most toppers of this exam are graduates of institutes like the Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institute of Science.
Therefore, here are the top 50 most probable questions including both technical and HR to be asked in an IES interview.
- Describe two specific technical contributions you would expect to make during your job term.
- Some of the best-engineered ideas are born out of an individual’s ability to challenge, others’ ways of thinking. Tell me about a time when you were successful in doing this.
- What is your overall career objective? And where do you see yourself in the next five years?
- You are assigned to work on an important project containing 7 design modules and you are short of time. By the end of the month all you can do is either to have 3 modules accomplished or to have all 7 modules started in parallel but not finished. What strategy will you choose?
- What single technical skill or ability is your best asset?
- How would you handle adverse situations with personnel?
- Why did you choose Engineering Services as your career?
- Did you join any coaching institute for the preparation of ESE?
- What is the role of MADE EASY in helping candidates for preparing ESE?
- What weightage did you give to General Ability Part?
- As we know usually candidates score less in conventional paper, hence what was your strategy for conventional papers?
- Can you brief about your UPSC interview?
- What are the important factors to be considered to crack UPSC interview?
- What are the important qualities of IES aspirants according to you?
- What message you want to deliver to ESE aspirants?
- How do you prepare for Objective Paper?
- Which are the reference books you suggest to ESE aspirants?
- What is the ideal duration for preparation?
- What are your weak and strong points?
- Tell me why a person gets burn injury if electrocuted?
- For domestic purposes why MCB’s are used?
- Can you explain its working?
- Are there any other CB’s which works on some other phenomena and not heating effect?
- Working on heating principle takes time. Suppose if someone gets shock then there can be delay in operation. What do you think?
- What is the power consumption in India?
- Why there is mismatch in supply and demand?
- What fascinates you more, solar or nuclear power?
- Explain the working of solar panel?
- Are these panels used in India being manufactured here or imported?
- What is the per unit electricity cost in your city?
- Should we spend more on generating nonrenewable sources like solar energy what do you think? Considering the high cost of solar panels?
- Suppose we need to transfer bulk power at HV, will a single conductor is preferred or more than one and why?
- What is corona?
- What is its disadvantages?
- Is there any advantage of corona?
- Can you explain power transfer through a transmission line by using EMT?
- In a substation we are switching on a transformer and the relay is going off, what possible reason can be there?
- What are losses in a transformer core?
- What types of materials are being used nowadays to manufacture cores?
- What is refractive index?
- Why does a swimming pool apparently appear to be shallow?
- What are the different types of lasers?
- Is it possible to machine/cut a material with laser? What are the drawbacks of laser machining?
- In order to measure specific heat of water, what is the temperature range considered? Why?
- What is specific heat?
- What is thermal equilibrium?
- What is the zeroth law of thermodynamics?
- What is the Mach no. for supersonic and subsonic flow?
- What is the value of length/radius in case of gun drilling?
- Draw the diesel cycle and explain the cutoff ratio?
All the Best!
PInterview, an IIM Bangalore Alumni venture, offers its users 1 to 1 Online Mock Interview with Industry Professionals and Domain Experts to improve and Excel one’s Interview skills and Ace the Interviews